Sunday, October 20, 2013

Drawing a Portrait

Intro to Drawing and Painting


People are the most challenging and exciting subjects.  To become familiar with the features draw a self-portrait for your next sketchbook assignment. Stare at yourself in the mirror. Ask yourself:

  • What is the shape of my face?
  • How big of a forehead do I have?
  • How far apart are my eyes?
  • What is the shape of my eyes and how big are they related to the size of the space between my eyes?
  • How long and wide is my nose?
  • Is my top lip the same size as my bottom lip? Is it the same shape? Which lip is lighter?
This list could go on forever, the point is to keep asking yourself questions to help you understand proportions.  Take a look at the pictures below for some more initial guidelines. 







No comments:

Post a Comment